CST Ethiopia represents the overseas development and humanitarian agencies of the Catholic Church from England and Wales (CAFOD), Scotland (SCIAF), and Ireland (Trócaire) in Ethiopia. The three agencies have over 40 years’ of experience in international development and humanitarian response and are each members of worldwide networks, including Caritas Internationalis. Currently, the three agencies jointly operate a single, integrated country programme in Ethiopia through the legal entity CST Ethiopia.
CST Ethiopia is implementing a country strategic plan focused on two programmes Women’s Empowerment and Resilient Communities, which integrates sustainable livelihoods, humanitarian and other (e.g. peacebuilding) programming.
As part of the CST Ethiopia Programme, CST Ethiopia/Trócaire has secured a grant from EU under the EUTF for a project entitled Stability and socio-economic development for vulnerable and marginalized communities in the Tigray region of Ethiopia (T05-EUTF-HOA-ET-76). The overall objective of the project is to promote stability and socio economic development in vulnerable and marginalised areas of the Tigray region, in Ethiopia. The project has two components namely; i) Promotion of peace building and conflict prevention among local populations living in peripheral areas of Tigray at regional, zonal, woreda and at community levels and ii) Improvement of socio-economic opportunities for the most vulnerable and marginalized populations of the Tigray region. The project is going to be implemented in partnership with 7 implementing partners for 42 months with a total budget of 5.89 million, starting in April 2021. As the lead organization, CST Ethiopia/Trócaire is planning to open a satellite office in Tigray for proper coordination and management of the project.
CST Ethiopia/Trócaire is seeking to hire a Driver with relevant experiences driving 4WD in asphalt and rough rouads.
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, CST Ethiopia/Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Scope of Role
- No financial responsibilities other than proper use of float or physical transfer of cash/invoices
- Has responsibility for ensuring that all utilities and tax payments are made on time
Key Duties amp; Responsibilities
- Responsible for driving staff and visitors (as required) (65%):
- Drives safely and carefully observing the speed limits and traffic rules;
- Collect staff guest from and to Airport as per the instruction given by his supervisor
- Wears (fastens) seatbelt while driving and ensures that passengers also wear seatbelt.
- Takes extra caution while driving in bad weather or on a road in bad condition.
- Updates the logbook: recording mileage, fuel receipts, servicing, repairs, accidents, and other incidents.
- Carries valid driving license and makes sure that all necessary documentations that are needed to drive third party insurance certificate and spare tyres are kept in the car.
- Checks the vehicle concerning fuel level, engine oil, coolant level, brake and clutch fluids, and windscreen washer fluid, cleanness of radiator grill, tire condition, any possible leaks and radio equipment before starting his / her daily duty.
- Performs weekly vehicle check according to CST Ethiopia Logbook.
- Ensures that the vehicle is loaded and off loaded following proper procedure.
- Realizes that only CST Ethiopia staff and/ or authorized persons are transported in the vehicle.
- Immediately reports accidents, damages and or mechanical/ electrical problems to his/ her supervisor.
- Follows the service time of the car, and reports the same as the planned service time approaches.
- Keeps safely the tools and parts kept in the car (like spare tyre, high-lift jack, tool boxes, etc) and ensures their proper use.
- Follows the fuel level and consumption of the car.
- Fills the car’s fuel tank(s) to the maximum every Friday afternoon, and the day before any public holiday(s).
- Follows the daily transport booking-board and provides transport service accordingly.
- Always checks the daily and or weekly planning of his car and makes sure that the car is ready for departure on time.
- Keeps first aid kits in the car in line with what is mentioned in the CAFOD, SCIAF and Trócaire Joint security mgt policy.
- Ensures the security of the vehicle and cargo while on duty and always stays close to the vehicle to attend to the radio (if any).
- Refrains from driving after drinking alcohol and under the influence of any sort of drug including Chat; Transporting private (without authorization) and commercial goods.
- Does not allow armed passengers or anybody dressed in a military/ paramilitary or police uniform into the car.
- Keeps the car clean and tidy; also as and when necessary washes it.
- Refrains from smoking while transporting or carrying dangerous goods.
- Performs any additional task as per the instruction of the supervisors.
- To ensure upkeep and general repair of vehicles (15%):
- Responsible for vehicle security and general upkeep and arranging maintenance as required.
- Checking due date for service and delivering and picking up vehicles to and from service.
- Keeping vehicles clean both inside and outside.
- Checking condition of vehicles, i.e. tyres for pressure, oil, water, spare wheels, jacks, etc.
- Reporting any malfunctions, accidents and repairs to Line Manager.
- Ensuring that car kits have all contents before departure.
- Refuelling of all vehicles as instructed by the Line Manager.
- Checking all vehicles are locked before leaving at end of day and secured as needed when travelling.
- Settlement of utilities and Taxes (20%):
- Settle monthly utilities on time (telephone, electric and water) of the office and guest houses
- Settle Income tax and withholding tax on monthly bases
- Delivery of documents and letters around town and paying bills as requested by the line manager.
- Carrying correspondence and cash between the office and banks / other offices, taking all due care and precaution. Minor purchasing as necessary, particularly in procurement of office supplies.
- Carry out duties in adherence to Security Policy.
- You may be required to carry out other reasonable duties and responsibilities from time to time in agreement with your line manager
ü Person Specification Essential Requirements
- Diploma/Certificate in auto mechanic
- 3rd grade/required driving license for 4WD vehicle
- Familiar driving experience in terrain and rough roads
- 3 years of experience in driving 4WD
- Demonstrable experience in minor maintenance of vehicles
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Good understanding of English and local language
- Culturally sensitive and diplomatic
- Self-motivated with proven ability to take initiative, prioritise tasks and work to deadlines
- Flexible and adaptable
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Availability to work outside normal hours to meet deadlines
- Commitment to principles of safeguarding of programme participants
- Experience in procurement
- Experience in liaison with gov’t offices
As per the organization scale and benefit package