The HALO Trust is the world’s biggest humanitarian demining organization, operating in 26 countries and territories, and employing approximately 9,000 people worldwide. HALO has been present in the Horn of Africa since 1999, and establishing Mine Action and Weapons and Arms Management programmes in Somaliland and south-central Somalia.
HALO Ethiopia was registered in April, 2021 and is looking to recruit an experienced professional from the development or mine clearance sector to serve as the organization’s first Project Coordinator, working with the Project Manager. The position will be based out of HALO’s office main office in Addis Ababa and will require travel to Somali Region to support the development of the HALO Ethiopia programme.
For interested parties, please send a complete CV and Cover Letter (in English) stating why you are interested in the role and how your knowledge, skills and experience meet the responsibilities and requirements outlined below.
- Maintain understanding and knowledge of contemporary current affairs in Ethiopia, including developments in law and government policy, and changes in government ministries, infrastructure, and security context.
- Display fundamental understanding of the issues surrounding mine clearance in Ethiopia, including knowledge of relevant treaties, mine clearance sector in Ethiopia, ongoing and future HALO projects etc.;
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with key Federal and Regional government ministries, including Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mine Action Department (MAD), Ministry of Peace and Ministry of Labour. Secure key meetings when required and maintain official correspondence;
- Establish and maintain strong and transparent working relationships with Federal and Regional Police and security authorities (e.g. NISS) to ensure HALO Ethiopia staff security and to facilitate the free movement of staff in-country;
- Establish reliable PoCs and regularly liaise with key national agencies (e.g. ACSO), international mine clearance partners, development agencies, and international embassies regarding HALO activities;
- In collaboration with the Project Manager, install and oversee project logistics system in accordance with HALO Global Logistics and Finance SOPs, enabling maintenance of key documentation and full transparency of systems;
- Oversee HALO’s complete compliance with Ethiopian labour, importation, and tax laws. Provide timely and informed updates on government legislative amendments and proclamations that directly impact the work of HALO in Ethiopia;
- Lead and support submission of work plans, project plans and annual reports to line ministry and relevant government agencies as required;
- Liaise with current and potential development partners in order to build relationships and seek new funding/partnership opportunities and projects;
- Represent HALO Ethiopia at government ministry and donor meetings as required in support of the Project Manager;
- Work from HALO’s Addis office with occasional travel to Jijiga and other areas of work in HALO’s Area of Operations;
- Seek and develop new funding opportunities and partnerships for the programme in both Addis and beyond;
- Provide translation of key governmental documents and reports, whilst supporting real time translation for the Project Manager in stakeholder meetings;
- Adhere to and promote all internal HALO policy, including standard operating procedures related to human resources, finance and operations.
- Oversee the day-to-day management of the Addis office in the absence of the Project Manager, including oversight of activities of finance and admin personnel.
- Support the recruitment of appropriately qualified and experienced Ethiopian staff in order to facilitate the ongoing growth of the HALO Ethiopia project.
- Addis based and willing to commit to HALO Ethiopia for at least 6 months;
- Well-organized and intuitive individual with the ability to manage their time effectively and to develop new opportunities for HALO Ethiopia;
- Spoken and written fluency in both Amharic and English;
- Background in development and/or mine clearance sector in the Horn of Africa.
- Experience in engaging with Ethiopia government ministries and departments at the highest level, particularly Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Peace, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Labour;
- Strong computer skills, including fluency with all Microsoft packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Strong understanding of Ethiopian Federal legislation, particularly the country’s labour laws.
The HALO Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
The HALO Trust is committed to a culture that is both diverse and inclusive and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people form a diverse candidate pool.
The closing date for applications to this role is Friday 15th August 2021. We reserve the right to close the role earlier than this date if there are sufficient suitable candidate.