Main purpose of the role:
To manage a high-quality portfolio of investment proposals and active programmes, that deliver the CIFF NTD priorities.
CIFF’s NTD Strategy (as part of the overall Africa strategy) is an ambitious shift from morbidity control to elimination and transmission break of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) with parasitic worms, trachoma and other NTDs prioritised. This role is required to provide high quality technical and operational leadership in the existing and new NTD investments and identify new opportunities and develop new investment pipelines.
Strategy amp; planning
- Prepare and present high-quality analysis and research, as required, to support the new and existing NTD investments and determining future strategic priorities and setting operational plans.
- Identify new investment opportunities and develop new pipelines.
Programme development, delivery amp; performance
- Lead a caseload of live programmes with a value of about USD 60 million of active investments with ambition to double in size and resources in accordance with the Africa strategy (which incorporates CIFF’s NTD strategy).
- Lead grant planning and implementation processes and ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of NTD with other sectors, for the achievement of the NTD output.
- Apply agreed due diligence and risk management protocols appropriately throughout the development and delivery of proposals and programmes, to ensure the interests and reputation of the Foundation are protected.
- Conduct structured feasibility analysis on investment proposals, using an appropriate range of methodologies and techniques, to ensure they are based on logical and robust assumptions, which can withstand scrutiny from the Executive Team and CIFF Board.
Lead a caseload of live programmes with a value $60Million of and an active pipeline of potential investments of $50million, in accordance with the Africa and NTD strategy.
- Conduct regular reviews of the progress and performance of programmes under delivery to identify problems and delays, and work with partners to develop effective solutions (escalating to more senior colleagues for support and intervention, where required).
- Work as part of the NTD team, and senior colleagues within the Sector Team, to shape and implement plans for scaling up, replicating or leveraging additional support for successful programmes and initiatives, in accordance with Foundation priorities.
- Lead team members based in the Addis and London offices responsible for day to day operational support and work with implementing partners to develop more effective technical and business approaches.
- Identify opportunities and options for improving processes, procedures and programme management approaches within (and beyond) the team, to support increased organisational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Keep abreast of developments within the NTD sector focus, notably deworming, neglected tropical diseases, school health and broader international development sectors, establishing appropriate information gathering networks and channels to deepen professional knowledge and skills.
- As required (and under the direction of more senior colleagues), contribute to the development of thought leadership, PR, marketing and advocacy materials, to support CIFF’s ambitions to scale-up, mainstream and leverage additional support for its initiatives.
- Conduct rigorous research and evaluation of potential partners, using agreed corporate protocols and techniques, to assess their suitability and credentials for collaborating on CIFF initiatives.
- Apply CIFF’s agreed account management and CRM disciplines and approaches in all dealings with programme partners and stakeholders, to ensure productive and professional relationships are maintained in a coordinated and strategic manner.
- Under direction of more senior colleagues, help to develop strategic partnerships to support adoption, replication, co-funding or scaling-up of CIFF programmes.
- With a variety of external audiences, act as a knowledgeable resource about CIFF’s programmes and priority areas.
- Provide coaching and mentoring support to colleagues, as required, to help build skills, confidence and capability in particular areas, processes or procedures.
- Based on longer term needs this position may involve line management responsibilities in the future
- MSc/MPH in epidemiology, public health disease control or other medical or health related specialization or equivalent by experience, plus significant experience working in NTDs.
- Demonstrable experience in analysis and due diligence; policy, planning and programme delivery, including field experience, all within the health or development sector.
- The successful candidate will have significant experience of designing and developing effective programmes with clear sustainability pathways.
- Knowledge of the evidence bases pertaining to programme design and implementation in public health- particularly in NTD sector.
- Ability to speak and write articulately about programmes for children, and gain credibility with a variety of audiences.
- Strong working knowledge of programme management
- Working knowledge of impact measurement and programme monitoring and evaluation
- Ability to analyse an organisation’s strength of management, vision and adaptive capacity. Ability to recruit, guide, influence and/or advise management teams to effectively implement programmes.
- Experience working within government systems and/or experience of influencing the policies of government agencies, private sector organizations or donor organizations particularly in NTD sector.
- A self-starter, with resilience, pace, and interpersonal flexibility.
- An innovative thinker with a pragmatic and solution-oriented mindset
- Strong influencing skills
- Belief in the importance of evidence-based decision making
- Willingness to travel regularly.
- Additional language skills (French) will be an advantage.
- International partners and stakeholders e.g. DFID, World Bank, USAID et al
- International charities and NGOs e.g. Gates Foundation, Save the Children, Oxfam et al
- National governments and local NGO partners in priority geographies
- Research and academic institutions active within sector specialism
- Key working relationshipsManagement dimensions Responsibility for personal pipeline and delivery targets of $60million and $50million respectively.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer a generous benefits package here at CIFF that includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Annual leave - 25 days per annum. Increasing by 1 day after each year of service, to a maximum of 30 days.
- Bonus - CIFF currently operates a discretionary bonus scheme.
- Training allowance
- Wellbeing allowance
- Life insurance
- Health insurance